Tools Programmer - Unreal Engine
Bellevue, Washington, United States
For many, the word “Epic” is synonymous with grand, glorious, heroic, regal, magnificent or monumental. At Epic Games, we think of “Epic” as the collective effort of smart, talented, passionate people choosing to build the highest quality experiences possible for those who play our games and use our technology. The words “good enough” are not spoken here. That dedication has allowed us to remain an industry leader, take risks, be creative, and carve our own path forward.
Epic Games is looking for a Tools Programmer who is passionate about writing world class, AAA game development tools. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated to be able to identify and fix problems with the tools with little to no direction. You should have an endless list of ideas for improving existing tools or ideas for completely new tools. You will make a direct impact on the productivity of others by developing user facing tools for one of the leading game engines used by developers across the world.
The person in this role will be responsible for the following:
- Designing and implementing features for the Unreal Engine 4 editor
- Designing and implementing user interfaces for the editor
- Maintaining and designing Unreal Engine 4's core UI system (for editor and games)
- Bug fixing and maintaining the existing Unreal Engine 4 code base
- Analyzing and fixing common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance problems
- Implementing and maintaining other tools such as the memory and performance profiler, automation tools, and Unreal Packaging Frontend
- Supporting external customers by answering their requests and questions
The ideal candidate will have a mix of the qualifications below:
- Excellent C++ skills
- Experience writing tools that improve the user experience of the consumer of the tool or that add some obvious value to game development or similar field
- Well versed in software engineering principals
- Experience writing UIs with a toolkit such as WPF, QT, Slate (UE4 UI system)
- Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of game engine and editor concepts
- Familiarity with multiple platforms and/or Unreal Engine 4 is a plus
- Experience developing in a large codebase; ideally experience designing and implementing a tool from the ground up
If you’d like to be part of the future of the award winning Unreal Engine, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit your resume and we’ll be in touch soon.
This is going to be Epic!