Performance Engineer - Console
Cary, North Carolina, United States
For over 25 years, Epic Games has been making award winning games and game engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that brings environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Unreal Engine 4 is already a world-leading engine on consoles, but we want to make it even better. We’re achieving this by shipping AAA games on console, such as Fortnite and Paragon, which push the technical capabilities of the engine to the limit.
Epic Games is looking for a Senior Engineer to join the Unreal Engine team working on platform support and performance for console platforms, including Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (this includes XB1-X and PS4 Pro). The Console team is responsible for all aspects of console support in the engine, including low-level optimization of core systems such as rendering and IO. As an experienced Engine Programmer, you're a senior-level generalist, comfortable with being the "go-to" person for a platform or feature. In this role, you'll work closely with the rendering and game teams to drive and constantly improve platform specific features, runtime performance, toolchain performance, and ease of use, plus licensee/user support.
The person in this role will be responsible for the following:
- Driving performance of Unreal Engine 4 on PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch to a world-class level
- Working closely with the Paragon and Fortnite game teams on issues impacting performance on console platforms
- Bug fixing and maintaining the existing Unreal Engine 4 code base
- Analyzing and fixing common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance issues
- Supporting external customers by answering their requests and questions
The ideal candidate will have a mix of the qualifications below:
- Strong C++ skills and the ability to code and architect various core engine systems
- Experience optimizing game engines for various platforms
- A keen analytical mind with strong problem solving skills
- Demonstrated interest in games
- Experience with multiple core system tasks such as graphics, tools, audio/video, networking, memory handling, script compilers, I/O, etc.
- 6+ years of professional programming experience
- Experience working with consoles and/or mobile gaming
- Experience working with multithreaded systems
- Performance and memory optimization skills
This is going to be Epic!