Developer Relations Technical Artist
Cary, North Carolina, United States
For many, the word “Epic” is synonymous with grand, glorious, heroic, regal, magnificent or monumental. At Epic Games, we think of “Epic” as the collective effort of smart, talented, passionate people choosing to build the highest quality experiences possible for those who play our games and use our technology. The words “good enough” are not spoken here. That dedication has allowed us to remain an industry leader, take risks, be creative, and carve our own path forward.
Epic Games is looking for an experienced Technical Artist to provide clear, broad-level support of Unreal Engine to current and future licensees from the perspective of the in-editor tool set. Your primary goal would be to impart your skills to licensees who need to solve technical/artistic issues in their projects, particularly those that lie outside of source code. Your primary tasks will involve direct support with licensees, tools development for the engine, and creating content to showcase the ability of the current and future generations of the engine.
The person in this role will be responsible for the following:
- Diagnosing problems Unreal Engine licenses may be having with their content
- Teaching processes to other developers
- Willing to travel up to 60% of the time
- Professional game development experience
- Content development experience with Unreal Editor and/or UDK
- Experience in all aspects of creating game content inside a 3D art package (3DS Max is preferred)
- Experience with other game content creation software such as Photoshop and Zbrush/Mudbox
- Understanding of the technical requirements for developing content for real-time 3D games.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Passionate about working with developers to create quality-focused content to push the limits of the engine
- Ability to give technical presentations to large groups of people
- Experience communicating on a technical level with programmers
The ideal candidate will have a mix of the qualifications below:
- Strong familiarly with Unreal Engine 4; preferably with shipped titles(s)
- Comfortable using multiple aspects of the Unreal Editor including; creation of sophisticated Blueprint scripts, materials, particle effects, animation setups, scene/level creation, and lighting
- Comfortable generating 3D game assets using 3ds Max/Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush, etc.
- Experience performing various tech art related tasks such as; shader development, special effects creation, level construction
- Detail oriented with strong communication skills; both verbal and written
- Experience providing support, assistance, training or documentation to artists
- Ability to write tools in their spare time
- Experience with one or more of the following; Python, C#, Mel, etc.
- Ability to debug problems in the art import/export pipeline
- Shipped-game experience highly desirable
If you’d like to be part of building a visually stunning game and this sounds like a challenge you’re up for we’d love to hear from you. Please submit your resume with a portfolio and we’ll be in touch soon.
This is going to be Epic!