Senior Technical Artist
Cary, North Carolina, United States
For many, the word “Epic” is synonymous with grand, glorious, heroic, regal, magnificent or monumental. At Epic Games, we think of “Epic” as the collective effort of smart, talented, passionate people choosing to build the highest quality experiences possible for those who play our games and use our technology. The words “good enough” are not spoken here. That dedication has allowed us to remain an industry leader, take risks, be creative, and carve our own path forward.
Epic Games is looking for experienced Senior Technical Artists to work in our Cary, NC studio. Our Senior Technical Artists are highly creative individuals who have strong creative/visual aesthetics and deep technical knowledge.
The person in this role will be responsible for the following:
● Engaging in all phases of development of projects including concept, production, and live updates;
● Leading efforts in material creation, including making materials for characters, environment assets, creating effects, and executing any overly complex technical duties;
● Executing level work and performing passes on levels where fog, lighting, color grading and features are tweaked and new features are added;
● Initiating optimization processes by using diagnostic tools to examine current content and identifying areas for improvement;
● Working with programmers on developing new features and tools;
● Providing feedback to programmers and experimenting with features as they are added;
● Understanding the requirements and constraints of game design, engine, and platforms;
● Providing guidance and leadership in every aspect of the content creation pipelines and finding/implementing more efficient techniques;
● Resolving complex issues and helping other artists resolve technical hurdles; and,
● Assisting and guiding external developers and artists.
The ideal candidate will meet the qualifications below:
● 5 years of professional experience in the video game industry creating materials and effects;
● At least 3 shipped titles which exhibit AAA game quality art;
● At least 1 year of experience working with AAA game engine technology to create art assets;
● Excellent written and verbal English communication skills;
At least 5 years of professional experience in the following:
● Creating and optimizing exterior and interior lighting and shading within a variety of environments;
● Using 3DSMax or Maya for 3D asset creation and refinement;
● Using art software packages including Photoshop, Zbrush, Mudbox, etc.
To qualify applicants must demonstrate technical art skills by submitting a portfolio which shows high quality, high-poly materials and effects with a strong sense of detailing, cinematography, and composition.
To qualify applicants must complete Epic’s Technical Art exercise to demonstrate proficiency. Candidates must pass background check and reference checks. Multiple openings for this position.
If you have a technical background and are passionate about creating engaging visual materials and effects, we’d love to hear from you.
This is going to be Epic!